Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 12:21 AM

Default Grass Valley

Yesterday I went to the Grass Valley Old West show....Towards the end of the day I didn't think I was going to find anything more than a couple small pickups, a 1921 Excelsior Motorcycle catalog...and a damaged but very early French penny toy of a motorcycle...paid a record amount for the penny toy...$10.00...It's probably the least expensive thing ever sold at that show....In the early 20th century they sold penny toys of many themes on the street in big cities in the United States and western Europe...New York, London, Paris, etc....But anyway at the end of the day as I was about to leave the show bronze dealer Chuck Morgenstern offered me this Vienna Polo Bronze for a price I had to bite...so worked it into my cabinet...

It's amazing the mallet is original...never broken off....And the horses body is suspended by only the back legs...the two front legs don't touch the base...So though it's unsigned I would speculate whoever the sculptor was they were seasoned...I'd like to think it was done by Franz Bergman, the king of Vienna bronze sculptors...But far as I know I think his pieces were usually signed...The three conjoined soccer/Euro football players to the left of the polo is a Bergman...Maybe the baseball batter catcher is too I can't recall...I would speculate there were number of studios in Vienna who produced Vienna bronzes other than Bergman at the height of their popularity...

I'll throw in some other shots of the show too at the bottom...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 05-31-2022 at 01:59 AM.