View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
First off, I could care less for your opinion. Oops….Couldn’t care less. But thank you for the English lesson. As the husband of a teacher I should have known that.
Well, when you think about it, maybe could care less may also be correct. As in….I could care less about something but I don’t.
Anyway, Yes I initiated the negotiation but he ACCEPTED my negotiations with a counter offer. So with his offer it is no longer unsolicited. Technically you could say his offer to me was unsolicited because I did not ask him for a counter offer. I simply made him an offer to accept or decline.
I also put items on my watch list for different reasons. If they make me an offer I may accept, counter, or ignore. But never counter and counter again with a lower amount because I don’t want them to think I could be a potential problem.
You are correct that one can only make offer to a potential buyer if there are no bids. You say he may interpret my negotiations as a panic move. Well I interpret his negotiations as a potential problem buyer. So what you are saying is that it is ok for him to interpret my motives but not ok for me to interpret his? We both could be right, we could both be wrong.
And yes maybe he intended the second offer to be $30.00 with a typo. However, giving him your best price on an item and for him to make an offer lower than that still makes me think he could be a problem.
I am not mad, upset, hurt or anything of the sort with his negotiations or thinking I overvalue my items. My whole point is if this buyer was a potential problem which I believe he could be. I would rather not have a sale than to have any headaches of return, refunds, partial refunds or whatever.
And for the record, I do respect all everyone’s opinion.
That is very interesting, because when you started this thread that is exactly what you did, you asked people for their opinions. Oh, and your request for opinions was unsolicited by those who responded. So now I get it, you weren't really honestly asking for people's opinions at all, were you? You were just posting and looking for people to validate you and a decision you had probably already made, so you could feel better about yourself and what you decided? Hmmmmm, interesting!!!!!

And when people do respond to your unsolicited requests, it seems in your mind that somehow absolves you from being the one who started this whole thing to begin with? Sadly, this is almost the same thing you pulled on the potential Buyer/Watcher who responded to your unsolicited offer to start this all off. I'm guessing that you may not really have wanted any alternate opinions, or a negotiation of price, at all. And if not in either case, why did YOU initiate things in both instances to begin with then? What's the old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, because you might just get it!". If the people YOU are approaching don't respond in almost exactly the way you want or expect, so what, why get all worked up and upset about it?

This now appears to be a second recent instance of you taking offense at the way someone responds to you, over something you initiated, started, and ASKED for responses to. In which case it could make some observers liken it to a blossoming behavioral pattern. I had originally just offered some alternate thoughts and perspectives on your issue, and had not judged or condemned you at all. However, as it seems I come across in dealing with almost everybody here on this forum when there is a disagreement of opinion, I go out of my way to try and present facts and logical theories and arguments, and respond to and answer all questions posed. Yet appallingly, I rarely, if ever, get the courtesy of a similar reaction and response to my questions. So let me try asking this once again. Why exactly does a potential Buyer's/Watcher's response to YOUR unsolicited offer, and their negotiation technique in response, suddenly and automatically make them a bad buyer, needful of blocking?

And please don't say it is because you have a gut feeling, because that is really no answer at all. If that is the case though, then you need to ask yourself what is the real reason behind such a gut feeling to begin with.

And as for the improper use of that phrase, yes, there are instances where you could appropriately have used the word COULD instead of COULDN'T, except in the context and meaning of how you used it, that is not one of those instances. Ask your wife if you don't believe me.

Last edited by BobC; 10-04-2022 at 12:05 PM.