View Single Post
Old 10-20-2022, 08:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have no idea if it's still available, but there's an amazing recording with Richard Burton as Hamlet. I guess if I had to choose I would rate Hamlet first, the Burnham Wood coming to Dunsinane and no man of woman born feel a little too gimmicky to me although the central soliloquy is better. I also find Hamlet's situation ultimately more interesting because the circumstances that test his character are thrust upon him whereas MacBeth's are of his own making.
I think my preference for MacBeth is more of personal grounds than literary analysis. It was the play that caught me first when I read Shakespeare originally, and some of its lines still resonate particularly well. Both are masterpieces and I would watch pretty much any version of either being performed.

Shakespeare is very fun to see as a play, but I think one of the merits of him that has helped him age so well is that, like the 3 surviving classical Greek dramatists, his work reads very well on the page even though that was not the original intent and presentation.

He has the Look N See, and a Goodwin and Allen & Ginter card that are easily found among a ton of more obscure items. I pick his stuff up whenever I come across something I don't have cheap. I would love for a full set of great writers cards like some of the old cigarette issues to be made again, but I imagine the market for that is about a dozen non-sport guys total.