View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 11:51 AM
Dewey St. Germaine

Great pickup Scott! Happy holidays to you as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I recently was able to finally complete a ticket collecting project that I have been working on for more than a decade.

On August 5th, 1986 @ SF, Steve Carlton joined Nolan Ryan as only the second pitcher to eclipse the 4,000th career K mark.
As a member of the SF Giants, Carlton retired for the 1st time the following day.

Since 1986, two other pitchers, Rocket Roger Clemens and HOF Randy Johnson, also surpassed this mark as well.

The 4,000 K club is an exclusive one indeed with only 4 members and certainly none in sight to ever catch this quartet. With specialized pitching being what it is, the book on this category is closed.

The only other category of major MLB records that I can think of is the 700 HR club, that with Albert Pujols joining in 2022, only has 4 members as well.

During the era that Nolan Ryan pitched, Steve Carlton was the premier left hander and he ended his career with 329 wins, making him a sure 1st ballot HOF'er.

On a personal note, I can't tell you how difficult it has been to locate a ticket to this game.

This is the first ticket that I have ever heard of in the hobby, and to find a full, unused season ticket was a bonus as it will join full tickets of the other 3 in the 4,000th K club in my personal collection.

Happy holidays to all of those on net54!