View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Did you ever make it to the Bigs and then get beaned on the first pitch and your career in the Bigs was over? I don't know how old you are but I suspect at some point in life you will see the good in this type of deed. Is it a PR move? Maybe....but regardless it's still a good thing, imo. Life shouldn't always be so cut and dry. There are circumstances when just doing the good thing, instead of the technically correct thing, is better. It just is.
So what he got beaned, yeah that sucks, but he was still playing in the minors for a while, but was not good enough to make it back to the majors, plain and simple. Yes, it's a good jesture and great feel good story, but is it deserved? No. I do see this as a good deed, but I view it as insulting towards him. I would be embarassed. They feel bad for him, so this happened. He still made it to the show, he accomplished his dream, whether he didn't get an official at-bat, he got a plate appearance. He got to sit in the dugout, he got to be on that field for the first time as a player. Yeah it sucks how it turned out, but he made it, and you can never take that away from him, regardless of this pathetic 'at-bat' he's getting. What if he walks, then he still doesn't have an at bat, are they going to keep him around.

If I had that happen to me, I would be so proud of myself, so happy that I finally received that call. The one profession I've known since I was 5 years old, finally comes into fruition. Doesn't matter how it ends, because you made it.