View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 10:12 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
For a spur of the moment need, how about an old, cleaned-up Pringles can?
Good try, but don't think they'd fit. Also would need to really clean them well so no oil or residue from the Pringle's chips would get on the discs. You may be able to find some cardboard mailing tubes with the proper diameter to do the trick for storage, but won't help for display. For display, best is in 4 pocket page sheets, or use the oversized top loaders just wide enough to accomodate the width of a disc.

Nice group of discs the OP has. There are quite a few more brands of discs out there as well. Also, the Burger Chef (Fangburger) discs are smaller than the Isaly's and most other brands of discs, and were included as part of the kid's meals boxes, if I remember correctly. There were 9 discs to a box, and each box was for a single major league team. Would be great if you could display them as complete boxes, but they didn't have all 9 player discs on one side of the box, so you'd have to display the front and backs of the kid's meal boxes to be able to see all 9 player discs then. And they were perforated so you could punch the discs out from the boxes, same as you'd punch those Pepsi discs out from their carton inserts.

I noticed the OP also had some King-B discs as well. Those are different (and smaller) than the Isaly's discs which were produced for many different distributors (including Burger Chef) by Michael Schecter Associates (MSA). With the exception of smaller versions like the Burger Chef or Wiffle Ball version discs, most all other MSA produced and licensed discs were all the sams 3-3/8" diameter with identical black and white player portraits in the center of each disc. And the MSA licensed and produced discs themselves were most often portrayed as baseballs. And MSA even distributed their own blank-backed version of these discs as well, if memory serves.

Because of their smaller size, I believe the King-B and other non-MSA discs can be easily displayed/stored in either standard 9 pocket page sheets, or in regular card top loaders. I'd also suggest using a regulard card sized penny sleeve before putting them in the top loaders or pocket pages so they don't move around.

The various MSA discs are fun, and not expensive, Anyone collecting them should think about trying to go after the various other backs/brands MSA produced besides just the Isaly's/Pepsi/Burger Chef ones the OP is showing.