View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 10:59 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I lived through the 90's card gold rush (albeit as a teenager) and remember the exuberance of that time period with people multiples deep at every table at the Anaheim CA national. But I've never seen anything like what's happening right now to card prices across both modern and vintage and across the spectrum of sports.

I think we've all talked about the increase since last March when COVID set in, but what's happening since mid December I can't explain. Prices double, tripling and more for major rookie offerings across football, basketball and baseball.

Someone posted a YT video with a guy saying that the big money investors (hedge funds etc) have moved into the hobby. Don't know if that's true but could explain what's going on.

What a wild ride and will be interesting to see where and if it ends
I don't think this is any worse than the junk wax craze. Back then, if someone obscure farted on the ball right for half a season, their best rookie card would go from basically a 5-10 cent common up to $10 (Kevin Mitchell, Cecil Fielder, Kevin Seitzer) and there were many thousands each of those cards out there.

People would buy 1000 '88 Fleer Gregg Jefferies instead of one Jason Dominguez or Trae Young numbered card.

And I could be wrong (let me know more examples if I am, would be curious), but I haven't seen much "triple or more" since mid December, except the Lemieux OPC 10 that's currently up for auction. Some top stuff has doubled or a little better in that time, like everything Jordan '86 to '88, but I haven't noticed much 3-5 times or more gains in that period

Last edited by cardsagain74; 01-24-2021 at 11:01 PM.