View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 11:22 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I lived through the 90's card gold rush (albeit as a teenager) and remember the exuberance of that time period with people multiples deep at every table at the Anaheim CA national. But I've never seen anything like what's happening right now to card prices across both modern and vintage and across the spectrum of sports.

I think we've all talked about the increase since last March when COVID set in, but what's happening since mid December I can't explain. Prices double, tripling and more for major rookie offerings across football, basketball and baseball.

Someone posted a YT video with a guy saying that the big money investors (hedge funds etc) have moved into the hobby. Don't know if that's true but could explain what's going on.

What a wild ride and will be interesting to see where and if it ends
I saw you have a lot of super high end card for sale, you should be happy that you're making a lot of money. big money investor from what looks like is true. stimulus extra money and working from home limiting spending won't land you to buy $10k+ card. Another thing i see is the fed continues to print money. Stocks in reality are way overbought. Investing in housing for rental due to covid now rents has gone down a lot and you might not able to collect rent. what else can you park the money? gold? bitcoin?
Sportscard looks like the new trend maybe similar to earlier days of bitcoin but at least you have a physical asset to hold. And investor have option to play safe or volatile(modern/vintage). meanwhile many of the big money investor probably a collector when they were a kid