View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 03:29 PM
J@son Per1

The Aaron mania is really something. I never thought his cards would go this bonkers following his passing. That didn't happen as much with the other HOFers that left us recently. Of course, Aaron is in a class by himself compared to those other greats, and his cards were probably undervalued for a very long time certainly relative to the Mick and so it sorta makes sense. His RC had a huge run-up in the past year+ and then he passes away and it jumps 50% overnight. It's a beautiful card and on the short list of post WW2 most important cards no doubt. But it's not like it's a particularly rare issue. Then again, supply/demand. Before he died you had 500 guys looking for his RC at any given moment. Now it's probably 2,500 guys or something.

I also wonder if the passing of someone of his cultural significance has drawn attention to HOF rookie cards in general. You gotta think people are doing the math and thinking Willie Mays is a great investment right now. Even relatively dormant and high pop RCs like the 1960 Yaz card have seen quite a jump here in the past 30-60 days.

It's great if you were able to get in on some of these cards a year ago, or even a month ago, which is probably everyone on these boards. So you also have the phenomena where most hobbyists are playing with house money as they watch the value of their collections jump up day after day. And so between that and covid and the stiumulus you've got guys throwing money around, not just the ultra rich either. I can't say what is likely to happen but the short run looks good for more growth. Not sure about the medium/long run.