View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 03:56 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsearcher60 View Post
I found this ad showing that the B18s were advertised to be used for display, and to make pillow cases. They were referred to as blankets. What I find interesting is that they were given away with Sovereign Cigarettes. This ad is from the Virginia-Pilot and the Norfolk (VA) Landmark, 14 July, 1914.

Michael
Great find and info as well. Never believed they were intended as ink blotters either, especially with that theory coming from a single source, without any real collaborative evidence from the then contemporary period to back it up, like this ad you found which contradicts the ink blotter theory. Have had a small quilt made with B18s for years myself. The B18s on my quilt are somewhat faded, which I've always attributed to them having been washed over and over, as opposed to exposure to sunlight or some other chemicals. My vote is soap and water as a main fading factor. Of course, sunlight could be involved as well if such an item were always hung outside in daylight to dry on a clothesline after being washed.