View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default Fro Joy cards - grading

Posted By: hankron

Even if a collector or dealer or grading company hasn't handled one before, the original Fro Joys cards and premiums are straightforeward to identify due to the type of printing used to make the cards. The Fro Joys used the same old fashion printing (photoengraving/relief) as used to make the Sporting News, Sporting Lifes and early Exhibit cards. This type of printing is quickly identified with a inexpensive handheld microscope (many $15 and under). The collector does not have to be a scientist or printing expert to identify, he or she just has to know what to look for.

As a closely related issue was brought up recently that asked similar identification questions, I will do my best to address the practical identication issue at my 'Q & A' link (top link) at cycleback.com. I will include illustrations and I hope, after that, everyone who's interested in Fro Joys (including grading companies) can identify them on their own, and weed out the fakes and reprints. I will post the 'Fro Joy' addition by Tuesday night, perhaps sooner.

I know Joe hates it when I post '30 second ads' for my website. But, considering I don't sell anything there or even link to my eBay auctions, I don't think it's so bad.