View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

After chasing this set for over ten years (and needing just two cards) I completed it at this years National Convention. After walking the aisles for four days, I thought I'd seen everything. Spike (a friend of mine) suggested walking cross ways across the floor, not along the regular walkways, and this proved successful. I started seeing things I had missed all week!
I came across a dealer with a stack of 1962 Post football and of course I asked to see them, and what do you know! #117 Larry Morris priced at $25, and the dealer accepted my offer of $20.
 photo 8484AB06-0C9D-4A9D-B963-B4ED77DC1C1D.jpg
So I paid the dealer and mentioned that I am down to needing just one more card, the short printed number 93 Dave Baker. And to my surprise the dealer says he has one!
The problem is, I am collecting a low grade set, and the dealer pulls out the most beautiful card I have ever seen, it's a BLAZER! But with extra money in my pocket we strike a deal, and my set is complete! I am so excited, and shoot Spike a text so I can show him. After seeing the card, Spike suggests I get the card slabbed and I agree with him. I want to keep this card as nice as possible! Here's a picture of me sitting at the SGC booth with the Dave Baker card ready for submission, cost to have it graded and slabbed was $35 and the card will be ready in one hour.
 photo 616a31d3-abb3-4646-a1a2-f8b6203dfebc.jpg
I didn't know what to expect, I knew the card was nice, but I don't normally purchase better condition cards. I was like an expectant father, pacing the Convention floor, and checking the time every five minutes. This was the longest hour I have spent in a long long time Finally I approach the SGC booth......
 photo Scan 3_2.jpeg
And that's the story how I finally completed my set. Of course the slabbed NM card of Dave Baker does not really fit in with the rest of my set. Hole punched, cut out with pinking shears, and stored raw in an 800 count box. I may keep my eyes open for a lower end Dave Baker card and downgrade But then again, this card is pretty sweet!
Larry