View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 10:43 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Am I the only one who really hates when politics enters Net54 chats? This is hobby is one of my favorite escape from some of the world's ugly realities...

But then I tune into threads like this one and get to see the same vile talk and opinions here and honestly, it impacts my willingness to interact with some member/posters.

It's too bad - like others, I tune into "new posts" to see what great new hobby talks may have started. And every now and then, threads take a turn like this one.

It's too bad. I suppose i will just ignore "water cooler talk" moving forward... but my daughter is a new elementary school librarian, so the topic got my attention.
No you're not, and I apologize to you for starting this thread if you thought it was in any way intended to be political, it was not. My intention had nothing to do with politics, it was merely that I saw the story and then immediately thought to myself, I have never heard of a single person who ever had anything bad to say about Roberto Clemente, especially Roberto Clemente the human being. So to me, the idea that somehow a book about Robeto Clemente could in any way be inappropriate for school children to read and learn from is absolutely ludicrous and laughable. And the only reason I thought it appropriate for a Net54 thread was because it was a story about Roberto Clemente, so an obvious hobby connection.

The actual story itself isn't about politics, it is actually about humanity, racism, and discrimination, which should be an apolitical topic and something that all decent humans should be concerned about. The sad truth though is that politicians then take and weaponize such topics for their own means and gain. It is a disgusting and totally dehumanizing tactic they use to cause rifts in populations and helps to distract many from focusing on ALL the politicians' own greed and lack of often doing any actual good for anyone, other than themselves and those they conspire with.

Net54 has various people that buy into this rhetoric, and have no problem aiming and spewing it at others on here. Let me make a suggestion to you. Rather than stopping to read anything in the Water Cooler section at all, why not figure out and take advantage of the forum's IGNORE function? Trust me, the removal of seeing the crap such people spew more than offsets the pretty much little they ever really seem to actually contribute to the forum and others in regards to the hobby itself. Now if there was only some way we could get the forum to extend that IGNORE function so that it also hides what they say when someone quotes them when responding. LOL, that would be really nice.

And congrats on your daughter being a librarian, that is great. Maybe you can ask her to check out this Roberto Clemente book and see what exactly it is that is apparently so bad they specifically had to pull it for further review and keep it away from school kids.

Last edited by BobC; 02-12-2023 at 10:55 AM.