View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Good points, it certainly does help with recover and I certainly looked at that route when I got injured. But regardless if you take steroids, doesn't make you better. Matt Lawton, Chuck Knoblauch, it did nothing for them. You still need to have the God given skillsets, and steroids don't change your genetic code or your muscle type fibers, so you still need to be able to see the ball and hit the ball. Does not help optical focal or hand eye coordination.

I used to have a lot of the same arguments as you, but over time I realized I was just being hopeful, because I didn't want to believe steroids were really changing the game.

If the precipitous drop in power numbers of the top guys the last few years isn't an indication, I don't know what is.

Just looking back at McGwire. He went from having debilitating back issues in Oakland, to hitting towering 600 foot homers on a regular basis in St. Louis.

That just doesn't happen. I can forgive him if he used steroid treatment to try to get his back healthy as a medical issue..............hell, that's what any civilian on the street would do, rather then suffer through a lifetime of back pain.

I think it's pretty plain, that he went and took it to the next level after that. Started using stuff a bit more sophisticated and harder to track then the garbage Canseco was allegedly shooting him up with in Oakland, whether it's HGH, Testosterone or whatever.

Not necessarily bad for the body.........but not so great for what we consider the sanctity of the sport.