View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Bill Gregory

See, I wouldn't expect to find too many T206 cards at flea markets or garage sales. The modern stuff would be easier, in my opinion, to make money off of.

I made one mistake. I fell in love with my inventory. I started buying Bowman Chrome prospect autos in 2010. I subscribed to MLB.tv so I could watch the preseason games, and see prospects before they reached the Majors. I also subscribed to milb.com, which allowed me to watch minor league games, or at least a large chunk of them. I started looking at the MLB.com top 100 prospects (Jonathan Mayo), and Baseball America's top 100 prospects. I found a number of other sites online that did scouting reports. I learned the 20 to 80 scouting scale. I learned very quickly to identify which prospects were going to have the greatest potential to be stars. I identified some veterans that I felt had upside potential, and bought their prospect autos, too. I picked up Mike Trout's 2009 Bowman Chrome prospect auto for $99. If I'd had a little more cash to start up, I'd have bought another. I bought Clayton Kershaw's 2006 Bowman Chrome auto because I thought it, too, was undervalued. I got that for about $75. I thought Justin Upton was also undervalued. At the time, all I could get below my price was his Bowman Sterling auto. That I got for $25. Somewhere along the way, though, buying all these cards, trying to acquire at least 1 Chrome prospect auto for each guy in the top 100 became my new goal. I loved watching these guys coming through the system and making it to the pros. I decided not to sell those cards, knowing that I could have sold and made a huge profit. I had people messaging me left and right offering me more money than I paid. I could have walked away from the collection with a 30-40% profit at one point.

I've agonized with the idea of selling those cards, and going completely into vintage and pre-war. But I love the game so much, and even though today's baseball player is about the money, and there are PED scandals, I still love the game.

Meanwhile, that Trout is going for $7-800 raw, $1,000 and up graded by Beckett at a 9.5. The Kershaw is selling for $400 +. The Upton spiked for a time when he started last season on a tear, but the price has dropped back down. But there is definitely money to be made if you can identify who to invest in, and when to sell.

As a rule now, if I start to actually prospect for money, which I am considering doing to increase the money I bring in, I'd follow some specific guidelines. No pitchers. No matter how good a pitcher might be right now, there are just too many Tommy John injuries. Then prospects like Dylan Bundy, and Matt Harvey, and Jose Fernandez. They look great. Their cards shoot up in value, and then boom. They're out a year. Too many red flags potentially. Buy them for your collection once they've made it to the Majors a few years from now. Don't risk trying to make a profit from them.

No speed guys. Guys like Billy Hamilton may eventually show to have more than just the speed metric. Dee Gordon is a guy that comes to mind. But I don't see a lot of profit opportunity in them. No second basemen, also. These guys are good with the glove, and they hit light. You might see an exception here and there, but they are not the best investment. No to most catchers unless they show a tool that is overwhelming. Devin Mesoraco showed incredible power potential, was a top 25 prospect, and he flopped. The hobby cooled on him quickly. I saw some things in him I really liked, including his freakish power. I also read that the guy was putting in a lot of extra time watching film, and taking extra batting practice looking to lower his strikeout rate. He's had a breakthrough season, and I think his 2007 Bowman Chrome autos could have a nice upside if he continues on the path I think he's going down. They're cheap right now, so I bought an extra base and refractor, and I'm holding them. Reds fans are passionate, and if this guy starts going to All Star Games, and winning home run titles, the card could go up again.

That leaves the corner infielders, and the outfielders. And the power bats. That's where the money is. Jose Abreu in Chicago, Harper, Puig, Trout. Those are the guys that could skyrocket in value if you get them early.

Good luck with whatever you choose, Scott!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.