View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbejasAsesinas View Post
I wasn't aware of the SGC designator. To be honest, I thought PSA and BGS were the most respected of the card grading companies. Is SGC up there as well?
Definitely. But collector preferences and values CAN be different at times depending on the era of preference..Their scale is a little different in terms of numbering, because it's on a 100 scale. Although it's not really a 100 pt scale, just 20(I could wrong on the exact number) random number designations leading up to 100. But those designations all equate to something on the 1-10 with half grades scale, and that number is usually indicated on their flips, as well as the technical grade.

Keep in mind that I'm not much of a graded guy, and really only buy graded stuff when it feels like a deal.. But these are my observations..

BGS seems to be more popular amongst modern cards, but PSA is pretty much right there. the PRISTINE pretty much being the difference. Although, I can't verify how many collectors really put too much stock in the difference. SGC Pristine carries some extra weight, but not I'm not really up on trends to say how they compare in value. BGS's holders look great on modern cards.. The Gold flips that they go to on 9.5 and 10s, really seem to stand out.. They are thick as hell though.

PSA's registry sets them up as the most popular for cards from most era's..Once you get past a certain point in age, BGS changes to BVG, and you can for the most part forget about PRISTINE anyways. PSAs slabs and flips seem to be more "standard"(or basic) in terms of size and appearance.

SGC seems to be a bit of a sleeper. Probably not as well known outside of the hobby, so newbies tend to flock to psa or bgs.. But SGC is VERY well respected within the hobby, in many cases above PSA or BGS/BVG. And their slabs are extremely nice looking. Although that's really just a personal opinion. They are a little wider though.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-31-2013 at 07:51 AM.