View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 PM

I bought, or traded for, most of my valuable pre-war cards from 1996 to 2001 and focused on rarity. They were all ungraded.

Now, when I get the money, I want to get these graded and protected and put in the SGC registry. That way, if something happens to me, my Mother and Nephew will have an easier time selling the cards and I will have a list for the insurance company to look at if something were to happen to the cards.

Now, if I were buying cards to complete my sets, for example the Diamond Stars, I would buy graded cards. This would save the hassle of worrying about a card on eBay being a fake and also save time and money as far as sending a raw card off to be graded.

I just looked at completed auctions and found some Diamond Star commons in SGC 80 holders which sold for between $20 and $30 dollars a piece. I seriously doubt that I could buy raw cards, get them graded and pay for postage and insurance for less than those amounts.

Kllrbee, maybe you should buy some T206 commons already graded and see how much that costs you and then compare that to buying a raw common and the cost to send it off to get graded. It might take longer to finish your set but it might also cost less in the long run.

David