View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
That is a fantastic collection! Japanese bromide cards are the most fascinating cards to research by far. Robert has done a great job helping you, and I have a couple of tidbits to throw in which may be of interest....

Hope that helps,
Wow, thank you so much, Jeff! That is a huge help. I'm still fairly new to this but am doing my best to get up to speed and learn. In fact, learning about both mid-century Japanese baseball and about the bromide sets was my main motivation in purchasing this collection. I've purchased those resources I can find in English but they are scant. Japanese Baseball (Statistical Handbook) by Johnson, the books by Gary and Rob Fitts, and some visual guides to uniforms and caps. Otherwise, I just rely on searching the web and creative gymnastics with Google Translate and hope for the best. And Robert has been very generous with his knowledge, both on and off the forums. Without his help, I probably would have given up on Japanese baseball cards already.

Which brings us to page 6 of the album, which contains a mix of teams. The first card (top left) is a partial lineup of the Chubu Nippon team in what looks like their 1946 uniforms (suggesting a 1947 card?). If I am translating correctly, the players are (left to right) Fujimoto, Furukawa, Kanbayashi, Sugiura, and Tayori. I can't find any Tayori on the team roster so am probably mistranslating this one.

The top right card appears to be Michinori Tsubouchi at the end of his swing. He is in a Stars rather than Gold Star uniform, so the image is probably from the 1947 season (and thus a 1948 bromide...total guess).

The center row of cards contain no identifying text and I am not confident enough to identify the players by faces alone. If anyone knows who these players are, please do let me know!

The bottom left bromide is Tsuneo Mitomi in what looks like a 1946 uniform so probably a 1947 card (as most of the cards in this album appear to be). And the bottom right cards is a player I don't recognize at all. My best efforts with google come up with Okunai as a last name, but I can't find him on any rosters so I probably have it wrong.

Just a note: At the moment I am working on identifying all of the players in the album and trying to figure out the year of the images in hopes of later determining the specific sets. The next stage will be to measure all of the cards and make an effort to identify all of the individual issues. In the meantime, if anyone knows what set a particular card comes from, please feel free to let me know...I'm sure it will help guide me in the next stage. Thanks!

Chubu (Fujimoto, Furakawa, Kanbayashi, Sugiura) - Tsubouchi
? - Tsubouchi and ?
Mitomi - Tsuchiya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 smaller.jpg (79.2 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 ML.jpg (77.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 MR.jpg (74.7 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 BR.jpg (73.0 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:15 AM.