View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Default 1900's? Football napkin holder figural- pewter?

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Ben,
I don't think Sandra hangs out here too much, she likely just posted that one time, so if you email her, she'll probably be glad to answer with a post.

To the best of my knowledge that one is numero uno, the best baseball napkin ring to have, out of a few that were made. This genera of small silver plate figurals was very popular in the late 19th century. Along with napkin rings there were inkwells, business card holders, pocket watch stands, etc. There is even a baseball thermometer with that same figure as yours. You can see that thermometer on my "silver" page on my site:http://www.sportsantiques.com/silver.htm

That baseball thermometer came out of the 05' REA auction. Over twenty years ago, I located that particular one thru the antique trader from a gal named Schneider in PA. It was $800.00, and out of my price range then. I had just met John Buonaguidi who was already a seasoned collector. I told him about it, not expecting any reward, just good will since I couldn't afford it anyway. John bought it and sent me a check for $50.00. I was surprised, and very happy to get free money as I thought of it then LOL. Years latter John sold it to the guy that consigned it to REA.
-Carlton