View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Default Think theres deserving 19th century players not in the HOF

Posted By: Joe_G.

Not sure why, but to this point I've stayed out of the HOF threads, perhaps because I'm a bit biased. I'd be more willing to give opinions if I understood all the great 19th century players to the extent I've studied the Detroit players. However, the link above (Hall of Merit) does lend support to some of my personal favorites including Deacon White, Charlie Bennett, & Hardy Richardson. For those with even remote interest in the 19th century greats, I suggest reading about the Hall of Merit. Follow their selections from 1898 inagural ballot to 1952.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/primer/hom/

Thanks for the link Brian!

Hall of Merit Statement of Purpose:

The Hall of Merit is an internet group of baseball enthusiasts who will create its own “Hall of Merit” to rival the “Hall of Fame” in Cooperstown. Many believe that the National Baseball Hall of Fame has done a less than perfect job of selecting the game’s greatest players to honor. We will attempt to rectify mistakes made by Hall of Fame selections by conducting our own series of elections. A more thorough description of the Hall of Merit can be found here.

We will start with the 19th century players on the first HoM ballot, and then step through baseball history one year at a time. Our goal is to identify the best players of each era and elect them to the Hall of Merit.

The HoM journey throughout baseball history will be just as important as the final destination. Lively, spirited discussion will help shape voters’ beliefs regarding the relative merits of baseball’s best players. All members are expected to be considerate of others’ opinions/arguments and be willing to consider alternative points of view. Disagreements will inevitably arise, but we will strive to maintain civility at all times.