View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Just wanted to expand on my last post for the original poster on why I would not rush to take it out of the screw down until you decide what you are going to do. Screw downs have 2 major issues going against them regarding protecting cards. 1. When left in them for years, cards tend to stick to the plastic and when removing them, the plastic can literally pull the surface of the card right off. As a result, a beautiful card can be easily turned into shredded cardboard. There are some tricks you can try to get them unstuck (freezing and/or heating), but nothing is guaranteed. 2. Screw downs that do not have a recessed area (like the one the Aaron is in) can flatten the corners of the card over time. The more the screws were tightened, the more likely this is to happen. The grading companies sometimes consider this an alteration and won't give the card a numeric grade as a result.

With that in mind, are there any other cards in the collection worth a lot less in the same style screw down? If so, you may want to see how one of them comes out first before attempting with the Aaron. That should give you an idea of how stuck the cards are. Also, if you are already getting offers as is in the range of a 4-5 (which is where I think it would be if real), you may be better off selling it even at a slight discount rather than running the risk of ruining it taking it out of the case or it grading as just authentic due to the corners.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers