View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:06 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Question for Bill, what made you call out Drew Brees as someone who "pads their stats"? I think his numbers are obviously terrific, his defense is historically terrible, running game nothing better than mediocre and his team must pass a lot to win. Sounds like he's playing to the situation. Not many better passers in the game past or present in my opinion. What stood out to you that he's padding any differently than say "Peyton"?
Brian, I'd have to go back and look for other examples, and there have been many. But the one that stands out the most was the final game of the 2011 season. Rodgers sat out the final game of the season, ending with 45 TD passes. He was leading the NFL. Well, Drew Brees had 41 TD passes, and in a completely meaningless game (the Saints came in at 12-3), and against an opponent with nothing to play for (the 6-9 Panthers), Brees came out airing it out because he wanted to set the all-time single season passing yards mark, AND he wanted to lead the NFL in touchdown passes. He threw 35 passes, and many of them 30-40-50 yards downfield, trying to pad his stats, and late in the game, after the game had already been won. With his team up by 2 touchdowns, and the Panthers showing no signs of life, Brees was still in there throwing bombs. He had three touchdown passes, but was still behind Rodgers. So, after a couple deep passes, he moves the Saints down the field to the 1 yard line, and gets a dinky little pass for #45 to tie Rodgers. Now they're up 21 points. Instead of getting the backup some work, with the Saints securing a 13-3 record, and the #2 seed, the highest they could get, as the Packers came in to the day at 14-1, out came Drew Brees, wanting that TD pass #46. And he's throwing the ball all over the field, and my friend, Chris, a huge Saints fan, is sitting there saying "why is he still out there?" And I told him "he wants to lead the NFL by himself. It's not enough to tie for the NFL lead in TD passes. He has to lead by himself." Sure enough, down in the red zone, they set up a little dink pass to Sproles, and he scoots in. And afterwords, Drew Brees is mugging for the camera, saying "but it's all about my teammates. I didn't care for the records." LOL, what a bunch of bullshit.

Here are some other posts on other forums, people doing a better job than I can:

Drew Brees' history as a stat padder during his tenure as a Saint

Just Google it. Funny the things you find. SOme other guys in the league obviously don't like Drew.

"Hey Drew, go ask the league if Sean Payon can get a night off from his season-long suspension to watch you break a record NOW!"

I don't know if Peyton is worse than Brees. I've seen him do it, too. But Brees has never seen a pass he didn't like. The guy will throw 700 times in a season, if they let him. Then he'll blow wind up everybody's ass about how "it's all about the team."

Yeah, right.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-01-2015 at 02:13 AM.