View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

The cache with using a specific ball type for a particular player's autograph is to get one they would have played with when they were active. It's a nice perk to some collectors, but I haven't seen many instances where the buyer will pay a significant premium for a modern signature on the correct vintage ball. If it's a vintage signature on a vintage ball it will go for more, but that's not what you're asking about.

Not knowing who you're looking to have sign your ball, if he didn't start playing until 2000 or later, it doesn't even make sense to seek out an ONL or OAL ball that he never would have handled in a game. I've also heard of guys seeking out nice-looking vintage balls to get an old-time player's modern signature on, where the value of the unsigned ball is more than its value with the player's signature added, which seems a shame to me.

Bottom line, from my perspective, is if you're going to go the ONL or OAL route, go with a league and era-correct ball. Otherwise, just getting a new OML ball for the signing isn't going to make a significant difference in price.