View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 04:13 PM

Thanks Gary, Bruce, John and Mark for the kind comments on my replica bats. They are all hand turned from three inch billets. I learned how to use a lathe from a very gracious mentor and, as John says, a lot of splinters along the way. It takes anywhere from about 4hrs to 6hrs depending on the model. Not sure on the willow bats. Willow is soft and hard to work with. The finish on them is about 12 coats of clear lacquer that is hand rubbed with a 9 step sanding process after each third coat.
John, to your question about availability. I do make them for resale, just don't be in a hurry. I only have a couple of the Tiger Flame birch and a couple of the willow billets left and not sure of current availability. After searching the internet for about 8 years I finally found a local mill that could supply me with willow. It took 13 months to get 12 billets and I had to buy the whole tree. Mark, to your question concerning the black walnut mini bat. I traded a ton of low end, flee market type stuff to a former employee of Gibson Guitar for enough black walnut and mahogany to make about 450 mini bats. He said the wood is cut offs and rejects for the guitar necks.