View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
I went to the Memory Lane Auction and checked out your card.
What a great card, and amazing that one could be found in that condition.
Congratulations are definitely in order.
Wayne, thanks for the kind words. I appreciated them when others seemed to flat out ignore the OP. I must have expressed myself poorly, and probably used too much vagary. In reality, the beautiful 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle PSA 7 one of one card mentioned from the July 10, 2021 auction was not won by me. I am privileged to own a rather nice 1953 S-M Mantle, but I was not the winning bidder.

However, I take umbrage with Mark17 for the simple reason that auction results do establish new values. For instance, in 2002 Mastro Fine Sports offered the only (and still only) 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams in PSA 9 MINT. It sold for $109,638. Almost immediately, Sports Market Report adjusted their valuation to the sharply spiked $100,000 -- $125,000 level. Recently, the PSA price guide evaluation people reviewed the card, and have now valued it at $350,000. Whether they did this because of an auction sale or known private sale is unknown to me; those who use VCP, would you please let us know if such sale took place.

Going back to the $68,125 realized for the near mint '53 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle, considering PSA values a near mint specimen at $35,000, I still maintain a serious price guide adjustment is in order----across the board. The card is rarely transacted at the highest grades, so....

Just my hot dog carrying tray's worth. --- Brian Powell