Thread: Home run - OT
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default Home run - OT

Posted By: S Gross

Agree with smaller ball parks and bigger players. Hell, they used to keep the batting cage and other field equipment in center field at Forbe's Field, because it was so deep. And, you can get out your Encyclopdedia and look up the sizes of players who played in the 1980s and see a vast difference.

My pet-peeve has always been the "long out" home run. A batter loafs a easy long fly into the outfield. The outfielder gets an easy beat on it, and then it falls over the wall by 1 foot. Should be an out, but it's a HR. Conversely, a batter hits a screaming line drive that is still rising down the line and it hits the wall. The OF fields it (well) and holds the batter to a double or even a single.

I always felt it'd be interesting to watch a game with no outfield wall. All the wall is is to make a field a park, to enclose it, sell admission and bill boards. A HR is really only a Ground Rule. A Ground Rule Double is a ball that bounces over the wall, and a ball that flies over the wall, really should be called a Ground Rule HR. An In-The-Park HR, is really a true HOME RUN.

Grayson Stadium (home of the 6-20 Sav. Sand Gnats) was a multi-purpose field, baseball/football, so it's demensions are odd. 290 to LF, 400 CF, 390 RF. A HR to left is pretty unexciting, BUT any ball hit to right, ANYTHING can happen. So, I'll take a triple to right anyday ...........