View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Default REA Results and "The Market"

I'm a bit surprised there has not been more discussion about the Spring 2013 REA results generally. In the past I have always felt the REA results were something of a barometer for "the market".

Despite a few consignors getting disappointing results (sorry Pete! ), I felt the final prices were quite strong...and there is still another REA to come this year.

According to REA's post-auction info, they sold $10.17 million, and 99.77% of lots sold (1807 lots).

I read this as a signal that the market in general is gaining strength. Having been a bidder in the last 4 or 5 REA auctions, I think this one showed the most spirited bidding over that timeframe. Some collectors have commented that their bids were blown out of the water, and there were few bargains to be had. I generally agree with this - and I think it bodes well for the continued recovery (since the late '08 fall) of the sports collectibles market through 2013.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 05-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.