View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
pariah1107

Yes, still researching & writing. I am not a gifted author. Thanks for asking.

Claxton played semi-pro ball for forty years (1907-46) all over the west, more than 50 teams. Usually not one team longer than a couple years, and typically more than one team in a season. Tough to track. Went on a great road trip to get to those small town newspapers that are not digitally archived but recorded his many, sporadic appearances (from Washington-California-Nevada).

Like any good education, the more I found out, the more I don't know a damn thing. 1916 has been fairly accurately depicted IMO (though many missed the longshoreman strike angle).

I've decided to limit the book to his years pitching for the Roslyn Yippers from 1926-31. Great, local history interest that way. He played for them the longest of any team, it has great coverage from three newspapers, and his father was the deacon of the local African Methodist Episcopal church from 1912-43. Good, solid, info.

My rough of all those years is way too tedious to read otherwise (too complicated). Should be done this summer.