View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 10:33 PM
Emlily Ell.is

1. Are there particular strategies you follow in building your sets?
I like to start by buying up some lots. I'll then go through and pull whatever I like/want/need then try and trade off any extras for ones I need. Or I'll group all the extras into lots/teams and sell (I realize not everyone likes to trade). But by doing this, I was able to put a NM set of 1958 Topps together for just over $500.

Secondly, a lot of people buy cards just to have them in the sets. Then try and upgrade later. I don't do that. Seems like a waste of time. I'd rather have an empty spot in my notebook than a card I'm not going to be proud of.

2. Do you build multiple sets at once, or does that make it too difficult and you focus on one at a time?
I try to do one, possibly 2 at a time. Otherwise, it gets too expensive. And you're spread out over multiple sets.

3. Do you prefer all raw, all graded or a combo and why?
I strictly collect raw. All cards. Nothing graded. I love putting them into notebooks and flipping through those notebooks. So everything from Mantle, Brooks RC, Nolan RC, Rose RC to the commons are in notebooks.

4. Finally, what is the best way to store sets (in-progress or completed) so that you can also enjoy seeing the cards?
I use notebooks and pages. I wait until I've got between 50-60 percent of the set to then place them into a notebook.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.