View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 09:25 PM
And.rew Whi.te

August 26, 1990 my brother had given me tickets to Alpine Valley Resort in Wisconsin to see Eric Clapton and others in what seemed to be an all night jam session. Since I lived (and still do) about ten minutes away I was eager to go as I could not wait to see Stevie Ray Vaughn play that night along with another favorite, Robert Cray and of course, Clapton.

We got there early as this was going to be an all day affair and the opening act was someone everyone seemed to know but me. This artist was led onto the stage and surprised me with his vocal talents and his music. I guess I was living in a hole back then because I had not seen Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze and had no idea who Jeff Healy was but I really liked his music.

Sadly, this was the night that SRV would lose his life in a senseless helicopter crash as he was trying to get out of the venue and back to Chicago. I say senseless because everyone knew the ski hill was there and helicopter was the only way most performers got in and out of the venue yet they sent an inexperienced pilot to get these performers out of the area with a thick, heavy fog rolling in. I Still drive by that site almost daily and think about that incredibly awesome concert and the loss the music industry suffered that night.