View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsinvestments View Post
Continuing on the discussion of the Dayton Daily News "cards", we just discovered two additional uncatalogued cards(we currently have them up on Ebay if you would like to see them pictured) that were put out in 1980 as a follow-up to the original 1970 set. The Dayton Daily News evidently did not want to continue on with the 160 card set so they agreed in 1980 to print one card per 100 years. So in 1980 they printed a Hank Aaron #3 representing their first 100 years(1880-1980) & the next day printed a David Lopes #998 representing their 2nd 100 years(1980-2080). The next card will be printed in 2080, that is if the Dayton Daily News is still around. Neither of these two cards have ever been discussed or catalogued.
Thanks, Adam
I'd like to add a little to the 100-year statement above. I have one of the 1980 David Lopes "cards". The text below the card indicates that the Dayton Daily News planned to run a card once every 100 years, but they were clever about it. The next one was not intended to run in 2080; rather, the smart alecks at the paper designated every day as the beginning of a unique 100-year period. I know only of the Aaron and Lopes, but I'm hoping they printed a lot more of these with different players. Not sure they did though.

I'd include a pic of the Lopes card, but I don't know how to upload the pic.