View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 01:49 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Another lame thread defining “vintage”

Okay, let me first acknowledge the overkill at which this topic has been discussed in the past. Many will have automatic responses, responses they have conditioned themselves to believe for a long time. Let me challenge you to refresh your thinking. Wipe clean your pre-conceived notions and re-evaluate the basis to which you define the word.

What is vintage? In wine, it simply defines the year of which it was bottled. If we applied the same thinking to cards, 2021 would be vintage, but we don’t. We tend to define vintage based on landmark points in the chronological timeline of the hobby.

Some consider vintage to be 1973 or earlier as this was the final year cards were released in multiple series throughout the season (until this practice resurface in the modern era), however, it seems like the majority consensus defining vintage is 1980 or earlier as this was the last year before Donruss and Fleer stepped on the scene (if we ignore Fleer’s brief stint between 60-63). This has been the standard, automated response by collectors for a very long time and for the most part, still is to this day.

But wouldn’t it seem logical that these years would change at some point as time continues to go by? I mean, eventually junk wax HAS to become vintage, doesn’t it? Why wouldn’t we now consider pre-Upper Deck vintage for instance? Upper Deck ushered in a new level of quality, challenging its competition to be more innovative by including inserted autograph cards, throwback cards (1991 topps), and test runs with foil and refractors. I just can’t see 1988 Topps not being considered vintage almost 35 years after it was produced. Didn’t we consider 1952 Topps vintage in 1987? If not now then when? What will it take? Why not just have a rolling clock that says anything over 20 years is vintage so we don’t have to keep redefining it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 4reals; 05-15-2022 at 02:06 PM.