View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Uncatalogued cards

Posted By: warshawlaw

Sort of sums up the conundrum. If the card is uncatalogued and you don't tall anyone about it, and it never transacts except when you bought it, how can you be sure of what it is worth?

I disagree with the assessment that the uncatalogued "come out" sale is the top sale ever on a card. Say a Speaker portrait was located and was the only known example and all the card gurus considered it to be the real deal and an essential part of a T206 master set. Do you really believe it would lose value over time once catalogued as a one-of-a-kind card if Mastro were to offer it for auction again? Or would the catalogued status of the card draw even more interest? I defy you to name one true one-of-a-kind card that has lost value once it was catalogued and then offered for sale at public auction. Now, if more cards are found then heck yes, the previously thought of as one of a kind card will lose value--it isn't unique anymore, is it?

I understand and sympathize with those who want to keep card rarities secret so they can buy them up on the cheap, but if that is why you want to hide information, just say so up front.