View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default New Idea for Ending Auctions Earlier

Posted By: Brian

It seems to me, and I didn't read through all the responses so if this has already been stated I apologize, but to close lots individually is the best for all parties involved.

To me, if you changed the 30 minute period that starts at 9pm, to a 5 minute clock on ACTIVE auctions, things would move much quicker. All auctions close after 15 minutes of no activity, so in theory, a large number of lots would close at 9:15.

Those that did not would move back and forth between bidders much like a live auction house. After the 5 minute clock is exceeded, the auction moves to the 15 minute close out, allowing additional bidders to jump in, or for "change of mind" bidders to get back onto the 5 minute back and forth bidding clock. If no one jumps in, the auction closes and everyone gets to bed at a decent hour.

If the back and forth continues for a while, then the Consignor and Auctioneer are happy, and the potential buyers have to hack it out, in the head to head, in the manner that keeps auctions the glorious battles that they are.