View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 01:45 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Default Post War Must Haves........

There are a number of high profile cards, or cards many consider "must haves" for post war collectors.
We all know the big ones on most people lists such as.............

'54 Aaron rookie
'51 Bowman Mantle rookie
'51 Mays rookie
'55 Clemente rookie
'52 Topps Mantle
'55 Koufax rookie
'68 Ryan rookie

Several of the more under appreciated ones off the top of my head are a '60 Yaz rookie, '57 Frank Robinson rookie, possibly a '55 Killebrew rookie, or even a '57 Brooks Robinson rookie.

Obviously, everyone should collect what they like and enjoy, but I like picking up some of the more popular cards too, to help fill out my collection as well.

I alluded to this in another thread, but I think the 1966 NL Batting Leader cards (pictured below) is a bit of a "must have" for many post war collectors.

It is not terribly valuable, there seems to be a big supply, since there are many on Ebay essentially all the time. But for various reasons, plus I think since this is the only card with all three of these players, it should be a bit more popular than it is. You have 3 of the best players of all time, arguably in their prime as well.

There are a number of other cards I have been watching lately (none of which I own). I am thinking of picking up a few of the more highly coveted "must haves", but I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a few others as well, even though they aren't quite as sought after as the big ones above.

For example, I think a '53 Topps Satchel Paige is another card that has been rising and becoming more popular. Under appreciated maybe?
I have watched it for months and months, and the higher grade centered examples are not as readily available as they used to be.

There is also a case to be made for pretty much ANY JACKIE ROBINSON card. I've thought for a while now he was a bit undervalued. Boy has his stuff started surging....... and not just his rookie cards either. Most all Robinson cards are rising.
There are probably plenty of reasons for this, but regardless he is starting to be more appreciated, at least in card value aspects.

I'm a bit curious as to some of the other "lesser??" post war must haves many of you think should be a bit more appreciated than they already are.

Let's hear the ones you think should be more in demand/more valuable.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.