View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Hey Jeff - thanks for asking about my interest in the Maroons - its been something I've been digging around about recently. The 1920s All-Decade team only lists a single FB - Ernie Nevers - not a bad player . But, it's recently come to my attention that there was another pretty good fullback at that time. A 1987 Coffin Corner article documents Tony Latone's story - it's fascinating and several aspects are right up my alley - a forgotten star, a running back, possibly leading rusher of the 20s, the disputed 25 championship, the PA connection, etc.
+1

In my opinion, Tony Latone should be in the Hall of Fame. Period. End of story. More rushing yards in his career than Grange and many fewer carries. I believe he has not been given as much consideration for the Hall as others because he was a coal miner who played football on the side and never went to college.

Team photo from 1925

1929 Boston Bulldogs. The Maroons moved to Boston after the 1928 season and played there as the Bulldogs for one year before folding. Tony Latone is second from the left in the top row.

Maroons at a '60s team reunion. Latone is top row, far right.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 02-11-2015 at 07:43 PM.