View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

This PSA 5 Crown Life Bobby Orr used to be mine. I purchased it ungraded from a well-respected Canadian dealer, however, I wanted it to get encapsulated by PSA. PSA, back then, did not slab these photos, so I had to send them scans from the Charlton Standard Catalogue (16th edition). After PSA reviewed everything, they told us to send it in. It came back a PSA 5 (even though it had a light crease in it) and I was pretty happy about that. Anyways, I didn't keep it too long because I ended up making a huge purchase and I needed all the money I could get. I ended up selling a few items and this Orr was one of them. The guy who bought it from me - who is a good friend of mine - only kept it a short time himself and then he sent it to REA. There are a few more things I want to say about this Crown Life Orr:

- It can't be called a "rookie" or even a "pre-rookie." Why? Because it's a photo (not a card!)

- It is very rare and I would not put it on the same level as the Parade Sportive Maurice Richard and JD McCarthy Wayne Gretzky photos. I have seen maybe three Crown Life Orr examples in my life and I've been in this hobby for a long time. There are lots of Parade Sportive Richards and JD McCarthy Gretzkys out there.

- This Crown Life Orr is a team issue. It was not issued by a company, such as a radio station or a postcard maker. The only way to have gotten these was to attend the Oshawa Generals games (during the years Orr played for them). I believe they were either found inside the game programs or you could buy them at the concession stand.

- This Crown Life Orr is the only Oshawa Generals team issue I am familiar with, however, there might be others out there. There are lots of team issues that were never cataloged.

- Anything that gets inside a PSA holder turns into gold. Because PSA is grading them now, they will be selling for quite a bit of money (especially the high-grade examples). Collectors who are trying to complete a PSA Orr master set are going to be looking for it.