View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Mike Dugan

I guess I am getting old but I have picked up 36 so far in person dating back to the 1970s. My top 10 nice guys would be:

1. Brooks Robinson- not just a nice HOFer but one of the nicest people in the world. Hope he heals up quickly from last weeks fall!
2. George Kell- very humble
3. Ernie Banks- At Arlington National Wow! what a nice guy
4. Stan Musial- 100 degree hear in an old fair grounds building, coat and tie shook hands with every person.
5. Lou Brock- very talkative
6. Bob Feller- stood up with each signing, smiled and shook hands
7. Warren Spahn- I was told he could be tough but asked a ton of questions
8. Bob Gibson- not warm but very couteous
9. Luke Appling- full of stories
10. Willie Stargell- laugh could be heard all over room

My bottom 10 would be

1-10 Willie Mays- never looked up, left early

Got a Mantle in Arlington but you handed off to handlers, never got close to him

The only person I can compare with Brooks is Bart Starr. He is just a really nice human being. Actually almost all of the former pro football players I have met have been very nice. I have developed my "butt in the dirt" theory. The better chance you have of getting your clock cleaned on every play, the more humble you have become.

I have only met a hand full of hockey players inclduing Brett and Bobby Hull and they were very nice! Backs up my theory.

By the way met former catcher Scott Servais last week at a hot stove meeting, he was cool at best. Rich Thompson, Aussie pitcher for the Angels also last week and super nice guy!!!