View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 10:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
PSA measures them as well. That's why cards get rejected as "minsize".

While I appreciate him wanting to put this video out to inform the public of a few things to watch out for, I also got a bit of a laugh at how naive he comes across though. 1/45 of an inch isn't going to matter when these guys are capable of trimming off 1/128th of an inch, and even that's not going to matter anyhow if the card was oversized to begin with. Obviously, if a card is 1/4" short or something like that, then sure, measuring helps, but you usually need to look at the edge under magnification to be able to tell if it's been trimmed. There are some telltale signs like the level of oxidation in the card stock for vintage, or one super squared edge, or bat wing corners, etc. That increases the likelihood of a trimmed card, but it doesn't guarantee it. Even cards that have not been trimmed can still have these attributes.

However, with modern cards... Lol at anyone thinking they could detect a "professionally" trimmed edge on an ultra modern card like Topps Chrome. For many cards, it's simply not possible to detect.

I think the TPGs should run some experiments with known alerted cards to see what gets through grading. I think it would be a massive eye opener for them and the hobby at large. But they don't want to do that because it would reveal their incompetency.
Regarding the 1/128th, what's your understanding of what people are using to microtrim that little? As much as trimming was discussed on Blowout, I don't think there was much about the actual mechanics/technology.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.