View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 07:35 AM
James M.

Default Nothing aggravates me more than when fans say

"The Players of today are so much better than the players of 20, 30, 40, etc years ago."

I feel like it's a statement born of pure stupidity. Frankly I think the entire concept is ridiculous. Yes if we magically got a a time machine, grabbed Babe Ruth from 1927 and plopped him into baseball today, he would not do as well. But a Babe Ruth with access to modern health care, training and all the things players have today would still be a massive force in the game today.

I wish people instead of debating just appreciate what these players did, within the context of their times. Yes it's fun to play the "What if?" Game, but the "X player is better than Y player, because Player X is from 2023," is nonsense, in my opinion. The sport has changed so much, you can't properly make this argument.

We can compare era adjusted, park adjusted stats, that's as probably as close as we're going to get. Just enjoy the history of the game, and take pride in the fact that the sport you follow has a long and storied past.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.