View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Jay D Wi.ley

That 1970 Ryan is a great looking card. I love Gem Mint cards as much as the next guy, but think about how silly it really is the price differential between a PSA 9 and a PSA 10 of any card. While that same 1970 Ryan sits between 2 pieces of plastic in a holder with PSA labeling it a 9, its worth XXX dollars. Nobody can tell the difference between a PSA 10 and a PSA 9. Its totally subjective. As is proved time and time again, the exact same card can get submitted and get graded either a 9 or 10. Now the same grading company, on a different day, takes the same 1970 Ryan and somehow determines its really a PSA 10. So it labels it as such and voila, the same card is now worth maybe 10-100 times XXX dollars. Its the same damn card. On one day its a 9, the next day its a 10. Guess what, if someone cracks it out of the 10 holder and sends it back to PSA, it will most likely come back a 9. Its a big game that PSA offers to get everyone to submit more cards and pay them more fees. And the hobby is full of suckers(I mean collectors) willing to participate. I dont blame PSA one bit for offering this game. As long as there are suckers out there who are willing to pay 10-100 times the price of PSA 9 for a PSA 10 for the exact same card in a different holder, why not offer the game. There are certainly enough wealthy folks who are willing to pay those prices and I dont blame them either, its their money and usually its really just pocket change for them, a rounding error in their millions or billions of net worth. But think about it, any card in a PSA 10 holder could easily be in a PSA 9 holder and nobody would think twice. Same on the flip side, any card in a PSA 9 holder could easily be in a PSA 10 holder and nobody would think twice. The game makes PSA alot of money, provides a lot of gamblers (ie those trying to submit raw cards to get 10s or resubmits of 9s to get 10s) with another avenue to gamble hoping to win a slot jackpot (ie score a 10 on a card), and provides another trophy for a super wealthy person to purchase. In the end, the card is the same card it was prior to having a different label put on it by PSA. Does anyone think the game will ever end?

Last edited by ashes13; 04-10-2016 at 01:40 PM.