View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default home town collection

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I don't collect players from my hometown, but I do collect anything related to the Lincoln Athletics/Chiefs team that existed in the Western/Three I leagues from 1947-1961. It is unbelievably hard to come by anything related to those teams. You would think there would be a lot of memorabilia surrounding Dick Stuart's 66 homerun season in 1956, but if it exists I can't find it, and I look and ask everyone. I even ran an ad in the newspaper for a while and never got one call.

On a side note, my former neighbor was Bob Cerv. Mostly famous for being Maris and Mantle's roommate in 1961, but he had a few really good years in the majors. I never got to meet him, but I have talked to his grandkids. I asked them what Bob thought about the movie 61* and they said he thought it was okay, but he didn't like that they portrayed him as sorta' dumb. He was a college graduate and actually did some teaching. The movie also shows Cerv on the Yankee's team on opening day when in fact he was with the Angels at the start of the 61 season.