View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
Steve, isn't his job to look at the auto and not the cert ? Isn't that why people get multiple opinions from different Doctors, Lawyers, Car repairmen, builders, plumbers, etc etc etc.
I agree 100%. I've used JSA a lot in the past but seriously consider not using them again in the future. JSA (as well as the other authenticators) charge, IMO, a ton - but having them certify something for resale is a must in this day and age to get maximum dollar for the piece. The high price I pay is to have JSA look at the signature, NOT the certificate.

That being said, I have two JSA stories to relate, one that pertains to the subject, the other not so much, but relates to business practices.

Around 1999, I met Tiger Woods and had him autograph a huge Nike poster. Soon after that, I brought the poster to a National and had GAI certify it (back when GAI had a good reputation). A few years ago, as GAIs reputation went down the tubes, I decided to have JSA cert the poster. I was extremely worried that JSA was going to look at the GAI sticker in the bottom corner and automatically say no. I brought it to a White Plains show, paid the $100 fee, and could immediately see Spence look at the signature and the GAI sticker. Spence wasn't comfortable saying "yes" before he took pictures and sent them to his golf expert. He did so, and after the golf expert looked at it, JSA certed the poster (as they should have since I knew it 100% without question authentic). I was terribly worried GAI was going to sway them, but JSA did the right thing authenticated the poster on the merits of the signature, not the existing certificate.

Now - a bad JSA experience. Last year, I brought two Duke Maas signature to a White Plains show. I filled out the forms, indicated that the fee was $20/signature, paid my $40 and went on my way. A few hours later, I came back and was told my cards weren't looked at because JSA charges $75 each for Duke Maas. I called bullsh*t on them and told them to look at the website - the fees are stated there. JSA told me their internet was "temporarily" down. I pulled out my handy iPhone and went to the site myself and showed them the $20 fee listed. The guy dealing with me went to talk with Jimmy and came back to tell me that Jimmy would cut me a break and charge me $75.00 for the two. I laughed, and now the cards reside in PSA/DNA holders. (as a disclaimer, before posting this story, I went to JSA's site. The fee is now $40 for Duke Maas, but still not $75, which is what I was told it was last year). Talk about piss poor customer service!

- Jon Canfield

Last edited by canjond; 02-18-2011 at 04:51 PM.