View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Cornering the market on one card?

Posted By: Andy Cook

I think you could make the argument about not only hoarding individual cards (e.g., T212 Miller), but anyone who's hoarding cards of a tough set that they're "corning the market". There are a number of sets where the majority of all the cards are in the hands of a relatively small number of collectors and unless one of them decides to liquidate -- it's unlikely anyone else could have a legitimate shot at collecting that set. For example, I know of four large collections of T213-2 (including mine) and unless one of us decides to break it up (I'm not) -- no one else is likely to get close to this set. There are a number of examples of set collections like this. On a personal note, I hope to get a T212-2 Miller so that I can complete my set (need about 30), but if the worst thing in my life is that I have a little tougher time finding a baseball card, I'm not going to sweat it.

Andy

PS - I liked my Great Grandfather very much and if he had been on a card, I would hoard it too. He was a huge baseball fan and had seen everyone play - Cobb, Young, Wagner, Matty, you name it.