View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Default First 2008 Recent Pickups thread

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Wow.... thanks for all the interest in the Honus Wagner piece! Replies are in order, so I'll handle them all in one shot (while trying to be brief...)

Mike:
It is not marble... more of a chalk-like composition with a smooth coating of some sort. It is hard to describe, and is not as heavy as marble would be.

Brock:
You are exactly right about the term, Bingle. A bingle was an old fashioned term for a base hit, which evolved into "Bingo". Ironically, my high school coach always said "Come on - a little bingo" all the time, too. It was kind of a rallying cry.

Keith:
Yes, Honus looks a lot like a Gargoyle. His hands are huge and way out of proportion. Interesting, as I had actually once read that Honus Wagner had enormous hands.

Also... your Sen Sen Scorer is really nice. There is seemingly identical one in the current Hunt Internet Auction (Lot #880). Hunt lists it as being circa 1920s, but who really knows? I think it may well eminate from the teens, based on the ornate style of graphics. Hunt has quite a few nice/similar Scorers in their current Auction, if you collect these. See lots 878 - 885 (some very cool examples...)

Clint:
Thanks so much for posting the pics of those 3 statues. Can't believe I missed these. They are mouth-watering, indeed. These are the exact type that I am hoping will turn up in the REA April Auction. The Joe Jackson looks to have been painted at a later date. I believe these were originally made simply white or beige. Did Lelands' description state that the Jackson was re-painted? I bet somewhere along the line, someone wanted to portray him using the Black Betsy. Thanks again for posting!