View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default First 2008 Recent Pickups thread

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Picked up an interesting lot of photos from a seller in NY who recently got these at the estate of a woman named Mary who lived to be 95 and never married, but she had a thing for boys in uniforms. I only bid on the baseball photos, but the ebay seller threw in a heavily perfumed letter from Mary that she must have used to give out to players or military men and another photo of "Baseball Mary"..all of these photos are dated on the back 1939 by the company that developed them. There were other photos that I did not win and I think these all were taken at Cooperstown? Or they may have been taken at Mary's hometown of Gloversville (Famous for PEACH Gloves!!!) Anyone know if the Yankees played an exhibition game in Cooperstown in 1939?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Joe D with Lefty Gomez
Photobucket

Here's one of the notorious Jake Powell signing an autograph. For those not knowing his story he became the first player to be suspended for saying something stupid. He used a racial epithet on the air of WGN radio in 1938. The reporter for WGN asked him what he did in the offseason and Powell said he was a cop and he liked to crack "******s" over the head with his nightstick. Ten years after making that remark he would be arrested for passing bad checks in Washington DC...while being interviewed at the police station Powell pulled out a gun and killed himself. In a strange twist of irony Powell who could barely play the outfield in NY without being harassed by fans was traded for Ben Chapman another racist who while manager of the Phillies in 1947 taunted Jackie Robinson.
Photobucket