View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 01:16 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I used to love the Dodgers. My mother worked in Brooklyn at the Naval Shipyard while my dad was in Europe in World War 2. I love Reese, Lavagetto, and Jackie Robinson. Sandy Koufax is probably my favorite pitcher all time. But this Ohtani saga is horrendous. $700 million to play baseball? Then the Dodgers do this Nazi Gestapo crap over his first Dodger Stadium home run ball? You can have it. I don't need some stupid "on field fan experience" BS garbage to somehow make up for threatening to not authenticate the ball. Who FUCKING cares? There were enough witnesses, on camera. The Dodgers can go fuck themselves.
I know the Dodgers have a long history (post O'Malley era) of their "aggressive" attempts to obtain home run balls from fans for their players. Most fans are there to enjoy the game and are not prepared to be taken out of their seats (for a game they came to enjoy) nor equipped to be interrogated. Definitely an uneven playing field. I would guess the couple who the ball belongs to might have a claim against the organization.

I rarely watch the games. Stopped going to them in the 1990s. Like many things, for me it was ruined by the overwhelming business aspect to it. How this couple was treated is simply an example of that, imo. And if the Dodgers actually threatened to not authenticate the ball for them, it is a really bad look. Maybe they should let everyone know that balls hit into the stands remain their property and they should all be retrieved by staff. If not then, if you are going to a game, instead of taking your spouse or your friend, might want to have your lawyer with you.