Thread: Gretzky future
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 10:16 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootshwan View Post
Despite these seeing a large spike in price over the past 5+ months do you still think this is an undervalued card with room to grow? If we take a look at what the Michael Jordan rookie card (which is 7 years newer) has risen to $600,000+, Tom Brady cards, Mantle in baseball, etc. It figures to reason that The Great One still has some catching up to do in terms of pricing. Or does Hockey lack the interest/coverage to ever get to those levels?
I clicked on your link and I see the Gretzky Topps rookie. Are you talking only about this card or his OPC as well? Because you mentioned the Jordan rookie, then I guess it only makes sense to talk about Gretzky's OPC rookie here.

Now, I was just reading a COVID-19 article that said a third-wave is probably coming soon here in Canada. As long as this sh*t keeps going on, and majority of folks are stuck at home, then yes, the OPC Gretzky can go higher in value. The last PSA 8 sold for $30,000 USD and I wouldn't be surprised if it peaks at $50,000 USD. However, you guys have to understand that a PSA 8 was going for less than $5,000 USD prior to the pandemic. This is a very "high-risk" card, and for long-term collectors, this is definitely not a good place to park your money. The Bobby Orr rookie is a much safer investment, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage View Post
This doesn't always apply in the hockey card world.

Look at the scarcity between 1971 opc hockey and 1971 bazooka hockey.
Same cards (a little smaller for bazooka), but very few collect bazooka and everyone collects opc. There are bazookas on ebay that just sit and sit and sit and never sell. Plenty of guys have the money to go after them, but they don't.

Look at the scarcity between 1955 parkhurst and 1955 quaker oats. Very few go after the less common quaker oats.
Ah, be careful there! What you're failing to realize is that the 71' Bazookas and 55' Quaker Oats are food issues. Very few collect food issues.