Thread: Babe Ruth?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Scott,
They were sold on eBay in March 2009 for $1482 for a lot of 90 1930's Detroit Tigers tickets (seems like a pretty good deal for any Tigers fan). The photo is from Worthpoint, a subscription website that indexes old eBay listings. Here's the rest of the description, just so nobody jumps to the conclusion that this Ruth ticket was in the lot.
Hi Lance,
Thanks for posting the description. I would have to agree with you that the buyer got an excellent deal on this vintage Tigers ticket lot. $15 a ticket- very nice!

Certainly this provides some support to the theory that the stamped Emergency Ticket could be an actual ticket from the game played on 7/13/34, Babe Ruth's 700th HR.

Looking at this from only the ticket portion of the equation, as a baseball ticket collector, I am still bothered by three things:

Would the game played on 7/13/34 (Ruth 700th HR) have been the 1st game in the Detroit Tiger's 1934 home schedule to have required the issuance of an Emergency Ticket? I know that I am repeating a portion of my previous post here, but we know that very few games in 1934 have "high" reported attendance according to retrosheet.org.

Of the home games that did have reported attendance, the Ruth 700 HR game was the 6th game with enough attendance to require an Emergency ticket. Wouldn't it make plausible sense that the 1st big attendance game would be the Emergency "A" ticket and not the 5th game?
I don't know...

Secondly, does it make plausible sense that the next game in the home schedule to require an emergency ticket (the 6th reported high attendance game in the DET home schedule) would be Emergency Ticket Z? That's interesting (odd). Extremely random, but possible....

Thirdly, both sets of Emergency tickets appear to be stamped by precisely the same hand. The same stamp appears to be used, as well as the same angle of stamp applied, in the same location on the ticket. No randomness to this at all, FWIW.

All this, in of itself, does not prove or disprove that this ticket is legit. Unless we were a fly on the ticket office wall, we will never know.

Now, back to the real question: does the Babe Ruth signature hold up as far as being a legitimate example of his 1930's signature? I will leave this up to the experts to figure out. I have no horse in this race...

For sure, this is an interesting puzzle to ponder over....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.