View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 07:50 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default 25th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment - Union Army

Ancestory directed us to one Thomas Feeney, a private in the E Company of this regiment. Thomas is my son’s, Arthur, great great great grandfather. He was 19 when the regiment was mustered out. Received a pension. He is buried in Cypress Hills National Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York. My 5 year old and I visited yesterday.

1844-1924

Very odd estrangement it seems like. My father had never heard of Thomas. Dad apparently asked his father several times over the years about possible Civil War vets in the family and he was told no. Thomas lived until 1924; his son, Michael died in 1907. I guess this is definitely the dividing line between Thomas having any connection to my grandfather, Charles. Interestingly enough, Charles’ son, Charley was born in 1924. He went on to cover the Giants (baseball/football) Yankees, Pirates and won the Taylor Spink Award in the late 90s. Thomas’ regiment apparently was influential in spreading baseball during the Civil War.

So…so many questions. I gather my grandfather had little contact with his grandfather from 1907 to 1924. I also visited the grave site of Michael (1874-1907) and he is buried in an unmarked grave with several other people with different last names. (Potters Field?). The original Feeney, another Michael, is buried near by. He died in 1890. Also in an unmarked grave. (A short walk, you are at the grave site of Gil Hodges).

This post? I gather I’m looking for information about the 25th Regiment. The “unmarked” graves sort of bothers me. Very sad. Potters Field? Man, another sad thing. I gather my son and I were the first visits these people had in 132, 115 and 98 years. It means in 132/115/98 years, I’ll be forgotten, I gather. That sort of bothers me.